500 grams basmati or long-grain rice
800 grams chicken
2 spoons butter
50 grams almonds
50 grams pistachios
100 grams orange peel
500 grams sugar
two large onions
1/2 teaspoon saffron
salt & black pepper
- Soak rice in warm water for 2 hours. Wash chicken.
- Peel and thinly slice onions. Fry in oil until slightly golden. Add chicken pieces and fry until color changes. Add a glass of hot water, salt and pepper and cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- Add more hot water during cooking if necessary. About 1/2 glass of water should be left at the end. Remove chicken bones.
- Save 2-3 spoons of sugar for later use. Add remaining sugar to a glass of hot water and bring to a boil. Add chicken juice, 2-3 spoons of oil and saffron, and mix well.
- Thinly slice almonds and pistachios. Soak almonds in cold water for an hour.
- Thinly slice orange peels. Boil for a few minutes, drain and repeat. Soak in cold water for an hour, drain, and repeat. Finally boil for a few minutes with three spoons of sugar, and drain.
- Prepare rice using the recipe for polow. When rice is rinsed, pour a bit of oil, butter and hot water in a pot, and add 1/2 of rice. Spread chicken pieces over the rice, and cover with 1/2 of remaining rice.
- Spread half of almonds and orange peel over rice and cover with remaining rice. Pour sugar and chicken-juice mix prepared earlier over rice. Cover and cook over low heat for about 30 minutes. Add remainder of almonds, orange peel, and pistachios, and mix well.