Ingredients (serves 6 people):
5 tablespoons sugar
Powdered Sugar–desired amount
1 to 1.5 tablespoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
4.5-5 tablespoons flour
heavy whipping cream –enough to use inside the roll and outside the roll
- Place foil in a 13 in X 9 in pan. Grease the foil a bit and sprinkle with some flour. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Use two large bowls. In one add the 5 egg whites and in another add the 5 egg yolks.
- In the bowl with the egg whites add 1.5 tablespoons sugar and use a mixer to mix it until the egg whites puff up.
- In the bowl with the egg yolks add 3.5 tablespoons sugar (remainder of sugar) and blend well with blender. Then add the vanilla and 3 tablespoons of oil and blend well again. Finally add the baking powder and flour and blend.
- Now add the egg white mixture to the egg yolk mixture and use a spatula to gently mix the contents. Do not stir too much!
- Empty the mixture into the pan and spread out evenly then place in oven for 10 – 12 minutes. Before you remove the roulette bread wet a towel and have it prepared to move the foil onto.
- When you remove the pan from the oven take the foil off and place it onto the wet towel you have prepared. Begin rolling the foil with the bread still on it and then wrap the wet towel over the foil. This well help it cool faster. Set the bread aside for 30 minutes to 45 minutes.
- In a bowl mix together heavy whipping cream with powdered sugar (adjust amount to taste). You want to use the mixer and mix until the whip cream becomes thick and forms peaks.
- Leave the whip cream in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. I usually make the whip cream after I set the rolled up bread aside to cool.
- Once you are ready to apply the whip cream to the rolled up bread you will remove the towel and then un-roll the foil and bread. Gently separate the bread from the foil …be careful as it can tear up easily if you are not careful.
- Using a spatula apply whip cream to the inside of the bread and then gradually begin rolling the bread again.
- You can then apply whip cream on the outside.
- If you chose you can even add cocoa or something else to the whip cream you are applying on the outside to decorate it or add a bit of variety to the flavor. Be creative!
- Place the Roulette in the fridge for 3-4 hours prior to serving.