Persian Poached Pears
April 10, 2013
- 4 large Bosc pears
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 dried apricots
- 2 (3 x 1/2-inch) lemon rind strips
- 1 (3-inch) piece vanilla bean, split lengthwise, or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 whole clove
- 4 reduced-calorie vanilla wafers, crushed
- 5 tablespoons coarsely chopped pistachios, toasted and divided
- Peel and core pears, leaving stems intact. Note: You can use a melon baller to core pears easily. Slice about 1/4 inch from base of each pear so it will sit flat.
- Combine water and next 7 ingredients (water through clove) in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Add pears; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until tender. Remove pears and apricots from cooking liquid using a slotted spoon; chill pears and apricots. Bring cooking liquid to a boil; cook until reduced to 1 cup (about 15 minutes). Strain cooking liquid through a sieve over a bowl; discard solids. Chill.
- Chop apricots. Then combine apricots, wafer crumbs, and 1 tablespoon pistachios. Stuff about 2 tablespoons apricot mixture into each pear. Place filled pears in bowls. Spoon 1/4 cup syrup over each pear; sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon pistachios.
Category: Persian Recipes