April 10, 2013
- ½ cup chickpeas
- ½ cup kidney beans
- ½ cup navy beans
- ½ cup lentils
- 1 bunch chopped fresh parsley
- 3 bunches chopped scallion (or scallions)
- ½ lb chopped fresh spinach
- ½ lb linguini noodles (or persian reshteh noodles if you can get them)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large sliced onions
- 1 tablespoon dried mint
- 1 cup plain yogurt (or kashk, or persian whey if you can get it)
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 salt
- 1 fresh ground pepper
- If using dried legumes, cook each one separately until tender and set aside before you proceed. (Using tinned legumes is much easier!)
- Combine parsley, spring onions, turmeric, salt and pepper, and about 6 cups water in a large pot. Simmer for 20 mins.
- Add the spinach and cook for a further 10 mins. Break up the noodles into pieces of a couple of inches in length and add to ash mixture.
- Let simmer until noodles are cooked.
- Fry onions in butter until golden brown. Stir in the dried mint until fragrant.
- Add cooked/ tinned legumes to ash, let simmer for 10-15 minutes. Taste for seasoning.
- Place ash in a large serving bowl and decorate with some of the fried onions and mint mixture.
- Drizzle some yoghurt or kashk on the top as well. Serve with extra yoghurt or kashk on the side. Enjoy!
Category: Persian Recipes